Town Walk (15)
Due to changing eras and political regimes Miercurea Ciuc is a town with several different centers, indicated by their compelling buildings. You can consider as a center the Cetății/Kasztély Square, which is surrounded by ancient buildings like the Mikó Castle, the Town Hall and the Court of Justice. However, there is another centre, the Libertății/Szabadság Square and the surrounding buildings of the County Hall and the Union Cultural Centre. All three were built in the period of the communist dictatorship. Actually, where there is action, life and constant throbbing, that is where the center is. Therefore, the Petőfi street is a “must-walk” street, as a chamber of old bourgeois houses and entertainment places, sustained for pedestrians only. Besides the main squares, there has been an enrichment of several new small squares created in line with the recent general development of the town. You can find these near and around more significant public buildings and churches. Usually these squares are marked by mostly local artist’s statues, green zones, play-grounds and fountains, which make them more friendly.

Share with your friends


Barangolás indítása

Fraternity boulevard / Tudor Vladimirescu District

Barangolás indítása

The superior end of Str. Petőfi Sándor

Barangolás indítása

Upper part of Str. Petőfi Sándor - Hungarian Revolution of 1956 Square

Barangolás indítása

Heart of Str. Petőfi Sándor

Barangolás indítása

Majláth Gusztáv Károly Square

Barangolás indítása

Str. Petőfi Sándor – inferior part of the pedestrian street

Barangolás indítása

Spicului district / Saint Augustine Square

Barangolás indítása

Str. Márton Áron

Barangolás indítása

Şumuleu Ciuc – Maria Church

Barangolás indítása

Cioboteni, Roman Catholic church

Barangolás indítása

Gál Sándor Square

Barangolás indítása

Timişoara Avenue

Barangolás indítása

Ice Rink District / Vákár Lajos Ice Rink

Tour stages
Fraternity boulevard / Tudor Vladimirescu District

Tudor Vladimirescu District, the residential area of the socialist period, can be accessed through the Castle Square along the Fraternity Boulevard passing before the County Police Station.

Castle Square

In earlier times this square had the role of administrative center of the entire county. Here we can find the most important establishments and institutions of the town: the City Hall, Mikó Castle, Court of Justice, the old building of the Court of Justice which now hosts the Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Department of the County Hospital.
This square is the old city centre with high traffic even today, the ground of numerous cultural and leisure time events and programs. Though the square is actually out of the center of the present town being at its border it is like a joint between the town center, Tudor Vladimirescu District and Jigodin.
In the last few years the square went through important transformations, thus becoming accentuated in the town’s profile. The new playground, the fountain and the reconstructed park became the integrated component of the square.

The superior end of Str. Petőfi Sándor

North to the Castle Square Str. Petőfi Sándor can be accessed. This major axis of the town is the only reminiscence from the times before the socialist destruction preserving many monumental buildings. From 1997 it has been used as pedestrian avenue. At the upper end of the street visitors can meet the Soviet heroes’ monument and not far from it the Petőfi Sándor Primary School turns up, which is functioning in the old but reconstructed building of the Civil Finishing School.

Upper part of Str. Petőfi Sándor - Hungarian Revolution of 1956 Square

This square was established after founding the Consulate of Hungarian Republic. The work of the local sculptor Ercsei Ferenc named Gloria Victis was dedicated to the fiftieth anniversary for the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and was placed into the center of the newly conceived square. Several compelling buildings are visible from this square: „Pál Gábor” house, „Vigadó” concert hall built in 1904, the outstanding secessionist house of late Dr. Bochor Béla, built in 1902.
This square has been the ground of the annual commemorative ceremony held on the 23rd of October since 2006.

Heart of Str. Petőfi Sándor

In the middle of the pedestrian street named after the famous Hungarian poet Petőfi Sándor there is a great view over Majláth Gusztáv Károly Square which is still keeping the socialist period characteristics, yet it pulsates due to the town’s every day traffic.
The most representative institutions of this area: The Upper Mureş and Olt Museum, the old cinema hall (presently under reconstruction), “Tulipán” – Tulip department store, the only department store of Ciuc Depression since 1974. There are two monumental works of art situated in this square: tiled marble decorating the facade of the cinema hall, and the statue of Millenium.

Majláth Gusztáv Károly Square

Majláth Gusztáv Károly Square was reconditioned in 2012 as part of the complete reconstruction project of Miercurea Ciuc’s center thus gaining a transformed profile of the town’s center. This square realizes a joint between the new and old centers offering an organic transition starting from the pavement and lighting to the street furniture.

Str. Petőfi Sándor – inferior part of the pedestrian street

At the end of the pedestrian street visitors can admire the beautiful yet damaged civilian houses. Here is the “Cseh István” eclectical and secessionist house functioning presently as a restaurant. Next there is the building of the late Hirsch Hugó Sanatorium which functioned until 1940 as the Ciuc region’s most sophisticated sanatorium. Pototzky Pál’s house is famous due to its Armenian origin merchant owner from the 20th century who supported from his incomes the town’s social life, especially the football team, the choir and the theatre.

Spicului district / Saint Augustine Square

This square was named after the newest Roman Catholic church of Miercurea Ciuc, Saint Augustine. Its green spaces divide the old town center from the residential area built on the hill. Besides, they provide resting possibility for the pedestrians after hiking the long stairway.
Visitors can also perceive the first industrial establishment of Miercurea Ciuc built in the second part of the 19th century, namely the brewery.

Str. Márton Áron

This street named after the famous Márton Áron Gymnasium links the center of the town with the north exit named Taploca, moreover with Şumuleu Ciuc through Str. Szék. Along this street there are some older civilian buildings.
Márton Áron and Segítő Mária Gymnasiums are the successors of the ancient grammar school run by the monks of the Franciscan begging order moved from Şumuleu Ciuc. The monumental secessionist building from the beginning of the 20th century and its park were reconditioned a few years ago. Due to its location, the school building is visible from great distances.

Şumuleu Ciuc – Maria Church

A wide and breezy square receives the visitors of the Maria Church from Şumuleu Ciuc, a Roman Catholic church built for Virgin Mary’s adoration. Next to the church we can meet the Franciscan monastery, and opposite the entrance there is the building of the late Pretorium, the County Hall of Ciuc, Gheorgheni and Caşin counties.
The square is the site of an annual Roman Catholic Pentecost pilgrimage, when hundreds of thousands of believers gather from all over Hungary and Romania and leave for the Şumuleu Mountains worshipping the Holy Mother and his Son.

Cioboteni, Roman Catholic church

The Saint Peter and Paul Parish Church from Cioboteni next to the two Şumuleu Mountains was considered the most important catholic church of Ciuc county at the beginning of the 14th century. Recent archeological researches revealed the probability of existence of an older church from Árpád-period which must have preceded the present neobaroque church.
This parish church is an important scene of the Şumuleu Pentecost Pilgrimage. Mainly Csangos from Moldova, but other hundreds of pilgrims spend the night before the Pentecost Sunday. Here is held on Pentecost Saturday the unique Csango Mess.

Gál Sándor Square

Next to the town center we can find the small square named after the statue of the great revolutionist Gál Sándor. The orderly green island with playground functions mainly as a passage for pedestrians. It is bordered by tall blocks of flats which separate the residential area from the central Liberty Square. Next to Gál Sándor Square lie Nagy Imre Secondary School and the county’s financial administration institutes.
This square give place for the annual commemorative ceremony held on the 15th of March for the heroes of the Hungarian Revolution of 1948.

Liberty Square

The former Liberty Square was built in 1976, but it was reconstructed through a wide-scale town center reconstruction project. With its new pavement, lighting system, street furniture and future spring it will hopefully become a favorite resting spot for citizens. It is bordered by the County Hall and Prefecture, Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania (the former Harghita Hotel), Trades Union Cultural House and next to the latter Nagy István Music and Art High School. The square is bordered by Str. Kossuth Lajos, the late main road of the town, and by the former market place demolished in the socialist period. The old public buildings and civilian two-storey houses were replaced by the present blocks of flats.

Timişoara Avenue

One of the most important axes of the town is the Timişoara Avenue. Starting from Liberty Square it leads towards Tudor Vladimirescu residential area. Opposite the Central Park lies the Local Cultural House. The establishment built between 1961-1963 hosts the town’s theatrical company named Csíki Játékszín. On the right we can find Harghita County Counsil’s Cultural Center. Next to the central park lies the eastern orthodox, formerly the eastern catholic church built between 1938-1940 being designed by architect Berek Ferenc. At the East entrance of the park there is the Unknown Soldier’s monument realized as commemoration for the Romanian heroes killed during the Second World War.

Ice Rink District / Vákár Lajos Ice Rink

Vákár Lajos Ice Rink (started in 1968) lies opposite the Central Park. The sculpture of the two hockey players at the main entrance of the establishment is the work of art of Tőrös Gábor (Satu Mare) and was inaugurated for the 50th anniversary of the ice-hockey from Ciuc county, in the autumn of 1979. The ice rink was named after the late local ice-hockey player and coach Vákár Lajos in 1999. Miercurea Ciuc is famous for this winter sport and attracts thousands of supporters even from other regions.
On the right of the ice rink a there is a modern hotel and wellness center.